Mature disciples of Christ are offering spiritual direction in the Ignatian manner all around the continent. This online workshop offered by ISI's founder emeritus, Fr. Joe Tetlow, S.J., invites spiritual directors to confirm their grasp of the Ignatian way of proceeding in accompanying others while deepening their own interior life in Christ.
How we will proceed:
The workshop will use Fr. Tetlow's new book Handing on the Fire: Making Spiritual Direction Ignatian as foundational reading. The workshop will unfold over eight online sessions. In the first four sessions, we will reflect on and discuss the dynamic of the Exercises--the experience of an intimate, ongoing dialogue between each mature disciple and our Creator and Lord—as that experience is supported by Ignatian direction. In the second four sessions, we will examine the grammar of experience that gives us deeper insight into our encounters with other seekers. As we look into actual stories of directing, we consider not only the seeker who comes to us but the other seeker in the room: the Ignatian spiritual director.
The sessions will be the following Saturdays: September 25, October 2, 9, 16, 30, November 6, 13, 20. Each session is 75 minutes and will include a brief lecture, prayer, triad discussions, case study, and a time for response to submitted quetions. The sessions will begin online at 10 a.m. Central Standard Time and conclude at 11:15 a.m. Each session will be recorded and available to persons who are registered for the workshop.
Who will attend:
The workshop is designed for lay persons and Jesuits who:
- Completed the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola (19th or 20th annotation)
- Completed formation in the art of spiritual companioning in the Ignatian way
- Are offering spiritual companioning and direction to others as an ongoing ministry
Workshop Application: (The workshop is now full and applications have been suspended)
- Spiritual directors desiring to attend will complete this brief application.
- Persons who are currently participating in a spiritual direction formation program within the Ignatian tradition may apply to audit the lecture portion of the workshop.
- ISI will notify you within ten days via email regarding your application.
- Persons accepted will be provided a link for workshop registration.
- Once registration and payment is received, participants will receive further information and links for the online sessions.
- Eight online sessions: $250
- Audit (for persons currently in Ignatian spiritual direction formation programs): $150
- Required text: Handing on the Fire: Making Spiritual Direction Ignatian. Order from the Institute for Advanced Jesuit Studies Jesuit Sources here
About our workshop guide:
Jesuit Father Joe Tetlow has returned to Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House as writer-in-residence. He is also continuing his ministry giving workshops in ignatian spirituality with the Ignatian Spirituality Institute.
Born in New Orleans in 1930, Tetlow began seminary training just after World War II, completing licentiates in both Philosophy and Theology from Pontifical Faculties. His doctoral work in America social and intellectual history at Brown University focused on the development of American Catholic spirituality. Tetlow served eight years in Rome as head of the Society of Jesus Secretariat for Ignatian Spirituality, guiding the efforts of 250 Jesuit retreat houses worldwide and editing the Review of Ignatian Spirituality. Before moving to St Louis, he served as director of Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House in Lake Dallas, Texas.
Tetlow has been a professor of theology at St Louis University and associate editor of the Catholic weekly America. He was Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Loyola in New Orleans, founding executive secretary of the U.S. Jesuit Conference in Washington, D.C., and President of the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley. As Director of Tertianship (the final period of Jesuit formation) he also acted as spiritual director to the clergy of the Austin Diocese in Texas. He has written numerous articles, including a commentary in America on the full cycle of Sunday readings, and has lectured around the world. Tetlow's books include the award winning Always Discerning, An Ignatian Spirituality for the New Millennium and Making Choices in Christ, a compendium of the foundational theology of Christian decision-making. His guide for making St Ignatius Spiritual Exercises, Choosing Christ in the World, has been translated into a number of languages and is used worldwide to guide others through the Spiritual Exercises. His co-authored eighteenth annotation retreat Finding Christ in the World is widely used in parishes and prayer groups.