The Ignatian Spirituality Institute is delighted to announce a new upcoming retreat workshop - Our Way of Proceeding which will be offered at Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House in Lake Dallas from Sunday January 9 to Wednesday 12, 2022.
Our purpose is to explore themes behind key words and phrases from the Jesuit “Way of Proceeding” that can easily be over-simplified or unexplored. Ignatius’ directions from the Jesuit Constitutions and documents of recent General Congregations will supply the matter of this workshop. Our themes follow the points in Conclusion: Our Way of Proceeding, General Congregation 34, doc.26.:
- Deep Personal Love for Jesus Christ - “It is deep, personal devotion of Jesus, himself the Way, that principally characterizes the Jesuit way of proceeding.”
- Contemplative in Action - “He used to interpret this as seeking God in all things.”
- An Apostolic Body of the Church - “We are not merely fellow workers; we are friends in the Lord.”
- In Solidarity with those Most in Need - “They linked their ministry to the powerful with the needs of the powerless.”
- Partnership with others - “Partnership and cooperation with others in ministry is not a pragmatic strategy resulting from diminished manpower; it is an essential dimension of the contemporary Jesuit way of proceeding…”
- Called to Learned Mission - “…it is characteristic of a Jesuit that he embodies in creative tension this Ignatian requirement to use all human means, science, art, learning, natural virtue, with a total reliance on divine grace.”
- Men Sent, Always Available for New Mission - “Our mission extends to the creation of this same spirit of mission in others.”
- Ever Searching for the Magis - “…mediocrity has no place in Ignatius’s worldview.” P-H Kolvenbach to Friends & Colleagues of S.J.
Who will be there
We aim to gather Jesuits and laity active in in upper administration, mission, and ministry of universities and high schools, as well as key leadership of spiritual ministries, social justice institutes and those holding Jesuit province staff positions. This meeting of Jesuit and lay leadership is by invitation only and you can let us know of your interest in attending by selecting the 'apply here' link above or below or here.
Note: To keep our presenters and participants safe, we must require all participants be fully vaccinated with a Covid vaccine to particpate. We highly suggest those who are able to receive a vaccine booster also complete that booster before attending.
How we will work and pray
The retreat workshop sessions combine brief input, personal reflection in silence, work in triads, and plenary discussion. There are nine sessions of 75 minutes each during four days. This leaves generous time for prayer and for companioning. The input will be supported by materials from the Constitutions and Norms.
Fr. Richard Baumann, S.J.
Midwest Province of the Society of Jesus
Retreat Director, Spiritual Director, & Regional Vocation Promoter
Dr. Rita Dollard - O'Malley
Codirector of the Seminars in Ignatian Formation (SIF), Midwest Province
Former Director of Adult Spirituality at St. Ignatius College Preparatory, San Francisco
Fr. Francis 'Billy' Huete, S.J.
UCS Province of the Society of Jesus
Socius, Former Novice Director,
Principal and Teacher Secondary Education
Fr. Pat Lee, S.J.
West Province of the Society of Jesus
Tertianship Program, Former Provincial,
Mission and Ministry Gonzaga University
Fr. Joseph A. Tetlow, S.J.
UCS Province of the Society of Jesus
Writer in residence, Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House
Former Assistant to Fr General Kolvenbach for
Pres. Tania Tetlow, J.D.
President of Loyola University New Orleans
Retreat Workshop Logistics
Retreat Workshop cost: $450 per person
- Includes workshop materials, all meals and snacks, private en suite room with linens/towels provided
- Space may be reserved with $75 non-refundable deposit (applied to tuition)
- Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House, 600 North Shady Shores Drive, Lake Dallas, TX 75065
Travel and transportation:
- Dallas-Ft Worth International Airport (closest)
- Love Field Airport (for those traveling via Southwest Airlines)
- Transportation to/from airport available via Lyft, Uber, or Alto
- By car, Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House is located on the shores of Lake Lewisville, along Interstate 35, north of Dallas and south of Denton