ISI is delighted: Our Founder Emeritus Fr. Joseph A. Tetlow, S.J., internationally renowned Ignatian spiritual director and expert in the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola, will offer an online program Jesus of Nazareth, our Companion: the Human Experience of the Redeemer.
The program begins September 2020 and concludes in May 2021.
About the Program
This program explores how Master Ignatius has woven the human experience of Jesus of Nazareth into the Spiritual Exercises. We will look at what the life of Jesus tells us about our own lives. In the first series, we ask what it means to us that Christ is the one foundation that we are built on, and what that means in our experience. Each of the four series will follow after that, as we learn to appreciate Jesus' human experience.
When we made the Spiritual Exercises, we walked with Jesus Christ in the four Weeks, from the Incarnation to the Ascension, applying Ignatian contemplation, consideration, or the lectio divina. In this program, we will go deeper into His human experience. The five centuries since Master Ignatius created these Exercises have given us greater appreciation of every human being's intimate experience. We can learn a lot from the gospels about Jesus’ perspectives and perceptions, what He valued and desired, and the significance of his habits and decisions. Considering all of these and His human character and Jewish spirituality, we know Him intimately better, love Him more, and can then imitate Him in our experiences. This program will explore and consider the human experience of Jesus of Nazareth, our Companion.
Who will benefit:
The program is designed for mature disciples and are:
- Persons who serve as guide or retreat director of the Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola.
- Persons who serve as spiritual directors or spiritual companions in the Ignatian tradition.
- Persons who work in apostolates of the Society of Jesus, such as spirituality formation programs, parish programs of adult formation, school administration or campus ministry, university offices of mission and ministry, etc.
- Persons who live an Ignatian spirituality and are leaders, or growing into leadership, at work, in communities, and in families.
How we will proceed:
The program will be offered in five series of presentations. Each series will have a theme explored over five 75-minute online sessions.
The themes for the program series are as follows:
The Principle and Foundation: Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ
Fall 2020: September 12, 19, 26, October 3, 10
Series One: REGISTRATION CLOSED (all available space for this session is filled)
The Incarnation as the Mercy of God
Fall 2020: October 31, Nov 7, 14, 21 Dec 5
To Know Him More Clearly: the Human Experience of the Redeemer
Winter 2021: Jan 16, 23 30, Feb 6, 13
To Love Him More Dearly: the Human Character and Spirituality of the Redeemer
Early Spring: March 6, 13, 20, 27, Apr 3
To Follow Him More Nearly: The Resurrection and the Not-So-Mystical Body
Late Spring: April 17, 24, May 1, 8, 15
Live series sessions will be Saturdays 10:00 to 11:15 a.m. on the indicated dates.
Recording of sessions will be made available to persons who are registered for the series.
- $50 per person per series
- Each series includes five sessions
- Online Registration will be opened three weeks before the beginning of the series.
- Space is limited and will be filled on a first registered basis.
- Your place is reserved when payment is received.